Just a thought: I can do it!

I love this picture! So cute and adorable!

This is what I have learned in the past year about myself and how I can apply it to being an educator. 

Growing up, people would always tell me that I was 'great' at some particular thing but I never truly believed them.  I was seeking for external validation in which I received but my internal beliefs about myself frequently invalidated them.  

And no matter how many positive encouragements I received, I never truly believed that to be true for myself or I would find other thoughts to bring myself down.   

I realized I had a passion to go deep within my own psyche to learn more about myself.  
It was only when recently an unique life altering experience of challenging trials that I started to believe in the 'greatness' within myself.  It started with a struggle which then lead to the desire to let go and reshape my thinking about myself.  Through personal inquiries, small action steps, and inspirations from others that I am able to see myself in a different light.  
Furthermore, I soon realized that everyone also has this 'greatness'.  

And I believe that once you realize the potentials or amazing qualities within yourself, you will instinctively start seeing the same potentials in others.

So, how is this related to my teaching practice?

Trying to instill the belief that 'I am great! I can do it' into a child's thoughts and belief systems about themselves is not up to you or me.  

You and I as educators and even parents cannot force anyone to be and see what they cannot see for themselves at that moment.  It is also not up to us to judge their conscious or unconscious beliefs and choices about themselves. 

It is up to them if they want to believe in themselves and when that will happen will depend on their unique life experiences.

As educators, we can provide them with encouragements, experiences, inspirations, choices and whatever it excites them to guide them to realizing their amazing potentials and greatness because we see the amazing potentials and gifts in all our students.

It is only when our students truly realize their own amazing qualities and potentials that change will happen. 

That change can only happen from within.  Otherwise, it will not stick and it will be shadowed by needing to meet the expectations of others, feelings of unworthiness, comparing oneself to others, and etc...

So what am I getting at? 

We need to be the hopeful and try our best to continuously envision our students in their best light.  We all 
chose this field because we know that we can make a difference.  And with that choice, we are also given a lot of power and influence.

I'm sure everyone has had or heard of a story about an amazing teacher that impacted their lives or a not so great teacher who everyone wonders, 'why are they still teaching?'  

As teachers, we unconsciously play a huge role in shaping our society.  

Just with one word, one action, or one thought is already enough energy or power to change a students' life.  

You never know which word; action or thought will impact someone's life because it is not up to us to decide which ones will stick.  

Hence, I learned that as a teacher I can never lose power or influence because there is no one specific look or action to it.  It is the things the actions that we take, the modeling that we make, and the genuine care for our students, and much more. The positive outlook, the passion, the desire to be there.  

A child does not grow up only being influenced by their teachers, it is an entire system of parents, families, communities, societies as described by Bronfenbrenner's ecological model.

But if we choose to see them in a negative light, then we not only diminish a part of ourselves but we also are giving up on a part of humanity. 

I am always inspired by teachers who continuously advocate for their students' well being.  I aspire to continue trying my best to encourage and support my students.  

I don't know everything and I'm not making any vows but I sure am going to do the best that I can to learn more about myself so that I can model and be the change I wish to see in the world. 

Action speaks louder than words.

Comments